SIMILARMINDS.COM Forum Index SIMILARMINDS.COM
SIMILARMINDS.COM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's your IQ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SIMILARMINDS.COM Forum Index -> The Intellectual Life
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's your IQ?
60-79. Just work hard. You can still succeed.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
80-99 Below Average, but doesn't mean it's bad.
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
100-119 Average Joe
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
120-129 Intelligent
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
130-139 Gifted
33%
 33%  [ 24 ]
140-149 Very Gifted
23%
 23%  [ 17 ]
150-159 Genius
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
160-169 Einstein-ish
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
170-199 Whoa
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
200+ (Da Vinci is 200). WOW!
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 72

HatchBack176
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you actually go about getting someone stupider than you to realize they are stupider than you? Hey look how many books I've read, hey look at these problems I have solved, look how successful I am by most practical standards, look at my IQ score, give me a problem you are having right now, BAM I solved it, look at my ability to communicate to the modern man the skills of interpersonal communication, look at my ability to out-compete you in any number of games, does it really have to be an indefinitely long game of anything you can do I can do better? What about in the easy case of someone mentally-challenged (a down-and-out retard)? How do you go about proving to yourself that you are smarter than someone?

On another level, these are ridiculous questions to ask. Do I get an ego boost thinking of how much smarter I am than an ape? What test do you have for telling me I am smarter than an ape? Aren't apes just laying dormant until Jesus comes, at which time they will rise once again?

What can a regular person add that an intelligence researcher hasn't already done, much better?
wordwatcher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: I.Q. Reply with quote

(Johnny-Come-Lately-Here: just responding to the original thread topic)

Upper 2%.

But I have trouble with the whole idea of "measuring" intelligence, bec. i. is non-empirical. How do you measure love, hate, fear, freedom, oppression, sadness, gladness, confusion, or any other non-empirical entity/quality/attribute? Besides, when I took my one and only IQ test in '90, I was appalled, bec. it didn't measure anything innate: everything was a matter of acquired proficiencies.

Anyway, sometimes I'm not so sure that high intelligence is a blessing; it def. has its drawbacks.

~~~INTJ ~~~Cognitive style: Perceiver/Teacher hybrid
blueelm
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: I.Q. Reply with quote

wordwatcher wrote:
(Johnny-Come-Lately-Here: just responding to the original thread topic)

Upper 2%.

But I have trouble with the whole idea of "measuring" intelligence, bec. i. is non-empirical. How do you measure love, hate, fear, freedom, oppression, sadness, gladness, confusion, or any other non-empirical entity/quality/attribute? Besides, when I took my one and only IQ test in '90, I was appalled, bec. it didn't measure anything innate: everything was a matter of acquired proficiencies.

Anyway, sometimes I'm not so sure that high intelligence is a blessing; it def. has its drawbacks.

I have not had my IQ properly tested, but I will respond to this because it resonates with a concern I have about intelligence testing. While I disagree that it is completely non-empirical, I do think that it is prone to extreme social bias. It is empirical in the sense that a certain set of expected results is associated with intelligence and how well some one scores gives them a measure of their "intelligence" with it previously thus defined. However, it is a measure performance with regard to that definition of intelligence, not a measure of human potential or character by any means. It could be compared, I think, to a test of a person's "morality" or "kindness" which would be similarly inclined to bias.

Because of this a lot rests on the notches on the ruler, which were designed by people with a certain perspective, albeit a highly researched perspective, on what intelligence means. Because of this I would simply consider one's IQ score a social judgment rather than an actual measure of innate ability. It is a measure of how well you take a test, and how intelligent you appear with regard to a particular set of skills which have been determined to signify intelligence. It can be quite precise, with people scoring regularly within the expected results of that scale, but it may not be terribly accurate given the whole of human individual and collaborative potential.

That being said, in the case that it gives a person potential insight into their weaker areas it could be used as a tool for learning where improvement could be made or where personal anxieties may lie. On the whole though I think I'm a bit uneasy with them myself.
wordwatcher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Elm (lyrical moniker, btw): Dynamite post, there! {ThumbzUp}x10 Very Happy

See, from your incisive comments, I'd be willing to bet you never had to go thru cognitive caesarians to write academic papers, right? Me, I could never SAY all that there was to any given topic, which meant that I'd always go thru agony to try to generate the requisite number of pages the prof had assigned. Yours is the kind of mind I'd like to have cloned into mine. Exclamation Mine is to yours what a puddle is to an ocean, or what an inchworm is to a giraffe. Wink

~~~INTJ ~~~Cognitive style: Perceiver/Teacher hybrid
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SIMILARMINDS.COM Forum Index -> The Intellectual Life All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: